Thursday, July 21, 2011

Penang Day 15


Erin was running an arts and craft lesson first thing this morning, so I started there. I left a little early to head off to my English class. On the way, I passed a class without a teacher, so I popped in, and taught them a maths game with playing cards. It was very simple, but they enjoyed it, and even simple maths is made more difficult when you are expected to answer in a second language!
Check this guy out!
My English lesson was for a triple period. I had known that Puan Susan would be busy rehearsing with the dance group, so I had done full lesson preparation, and was able to run it on my own. Considering it was for 1½ hours, I felt that this was a good lesson, and that I managed to actually teach them something new.

I ate lunch with some of the other teachers, and had a good discussion. I’ve said it before – it is so valuable to be able to talk to other people from a different culture about life, and education. I really feel as if I am absorbing so much knowledge, just through simple lunch time conversation, as well as the passing conversations we are able to have with the students.
The computer attached to the projector in the Science lab.
My final lesson was a double science. Again, Puan Ainda had to look after a dance group, so I had the class to myself. She had already organised a DVD on the planets for them, but I had done some lesson planning, just in case the DVD didn’t happen. It did, but the planning I had done allowed me to break the DVD occasionally and engage the class in discussion. The class was so well behaved, except for one student. Not only would he not engage, he was disrupting the other students. I tried a couple of behaviour management strategies, and they actually worked! I was able to engage him in the lesson, without any negative implications for him; in turn, this simple engagement prevented misbehaviour. All in all, a very good day for me, lesson wise!
Class 4A
As we are the school the farthest away from RECSAM, we were picked up first by the bus, as usual. We had quite a wait at Bukit Gambir, as they don’t finish until about 45 minutes after we arrive. While we were waiting, a group of kids from the primary school next door decided they wanted to wait for their bus in cool air-conditioning too, so Basrah, our driver, let them on. We had a lot of fun talking to them while we were waiting, and they were desperate to show off their English.

After school we had an official high tea, with representatives from RECSAM, the State Education Office, and the schools. We all received certificates of participation, which are very impressive, as well as a small gift. There were several speeches, followed by the afternoon tea. I appreciated the fact that we were able to officially recognise the schools and the teachers that have done so much for us.
The 6 lane main road we have been running across to catch the Rapid bus.
Luckily there is an island in the middle - you've got to be on your toes here!
 Now it is time to continue packing, figure out what I can leave, repack, and possibly repack again after our farewell at school tomorrow. This is likely to be the last post directly from Penang. Tomorrow we go to school, teach, come home, finish packing, and head for the plane!
Dinner - Seafood porridge. Porridge here is made from rice. It was quite tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment