Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Experimenting for the Perfect Aspect Ratio

Measuring Sterling Silver Jump Rings to determine the perfect Aspect Ratio
In preparing my first batch of sterling silver jump rings, I have been experimenting to determine how to create the perfect Aspect Ratio for Byzantine (which is 3.5). Did you know that a difference of 0.05mm in mandrel size actually does translate to the created rings? Granted, it is not much of a difference, and they are perfectly serviceable, but that is not what I am about. I want my rings to be the as close as possible to the perfect AR. The wire temper, the winding method and the kerf size can all have an effect on the size of the mandrel needed to create the final AR in a closed ring. This means I have been winding, cutting, tumbling, measuring - and repeat. And repeat. And repeat. I have finally settled on the mandrel sizes I will be using for 0.8mm, 0.9mm, 1.0mm and 1.2mm sterling jump rings. Keep an eye on my Etsy store - they will be listed soon!